in recent times, orthopedic problem increasing, affecting people of all age groups. This may be due to the sedentary lifestyle of people who are tied to their chairs and their computer screens every day, not leaving time for physical activities. Total, working out in the gym either exercising outside,
buy now , Our best subscription plan now has a special price
These days, total knee replacement surgery has become important for the treatment of patients suffering from severe knee problemDr. Sinukumar Bhaskaran, Consultant – Orthopedic and Joint Replacement Surgery at Manipal Hospital, Kharadi, Pune says.
The doctor explains that it is a surgical procedure that removes the patient’s thigh bone, shinbone and knee cap, and replaces the injured bone and cartilage with an artificial joint (prosthesis) consisting of metal alloys, premium plastic and Contains polymers.
“This is a common procedure that reduces pain and stiffness” Arthritis or other injuries. After replacing the knee and recovering from it, the patient can resume regular activities,” he adds.
According to Dr. Bhaskaran, however, there are five important things that a patient should know before undergoing a Total knee replacement surgery, read on.
1. There are several types of knee replacement surgery: It is important to understand that there are different types of surgery for each patient’s specific situation.
2. Total knee replacement surgery is for people of all ages: The general belief is that knee replacement surgery is not recommended for a patient under the age of 50. Surgery recommendations, however, are based on the patient’s level of discomfort and functional limitations.
3. Control health problems for speedy recovery: It is important for the patient to manage health issues like diabetes and obesity To ensure a smooth recovery after surgery. Losing even a little bit of weight helps with recovery. Many surgeons recommend physical therapy before surgery to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint. The medications they are taking should also be shared with the operating team to ensure proper anesthesia modalities. It is imperative to avoid or reduce the consumption of alcohol and tobacco during the perioperative phase.
4. Delaying surgery can cause further damage: Waiting too long can lead to increased pain, muscle atrophy, deformity, and decreased ability to fully straighten the knee after surgery. Improvements in medical technologies ensure that total knee replacement surgery can be performed even before the age of 60. If the patient’s condition requires immediate surgery before the age of 60, the doctor may recommend going for a total knee replacement. Delaying treatment can reduce the chances of recovery and lead to other complications.
5. Consider Complications: A patient should be aware of complications after surgery, which can include blood clots and breathing problems. Call your doctor right away if you feel chills, drainage from your surgical scar, or you have increasing pain, redness, swelling, and tenderness in your knee.
I Follow us for more lifestyle news Instagram | Twitter , Facebook and don’t miss the latest updates!